PREFACE: Controlling Moisture
Design and construction considerations; every building structure should be designed and constructed to minimize any possible infiltration of moisture. Moisture infiltration can be reduced & managed by incorporating construction practices that:
- Do not allow moisture to accumulate for extended periods without runoff;
- Minimize moisture penetration by sealing & flashing
- Allow water that has penetrated the exterior envelope to easily drain away from the structure.
for using WindsorONE Trim Boards on the exterior
WindsorONE Trim Boards are manufactured to give years of satisfaction and beauty to owners of elegant homes. The best service will result from installation according to traditional "best practices" for wood construction. Besides following the Installation Instructions and Maintenance Instructions (next sections), all installers of WindsorONE Trim Boards should follow these industry "best practices."
THE DO NOT LIST
- Do not use for structural support purposes.
- Do not use trim for siding, decking, railing, fences, planters or trellises.
- Do not allow to be in contact with the ground.
- Do not backfill or place sod, mulch, etc., closer than 8”.
- Do not place in direct contact with concrete, masonry, patios, porches, and/or roofs.
- Do not install where water sprinklers can regularly wet.
- Do not install in a manner to allow water to be entrapped behind WindsorONE boards.
- Do not use caulking sealant as a substitute for flashing.
- Do not install with moisture content over 18%.
- Do not paint over wet WindsorONE boards.
- Do not install directly over rigid foam insulation. Instead, use furring strips to create an air space and a building wrap directly against foam insulation.
- Do not assume your installation crews know what to do.
THE DO LIST
- Do adhere strictly to WindsorONE Trim Boards installation and maintenance instructions.
- Do follow the local building code requirements.
- Do install trim to create easy drainage planes to shed water accumulations.
- Do be aware of potential sources of moisture penetration, (including condensation), around the building, and modify the design accordingly.
- Do re-coat all surfaces exposed by jobsite field cuts during installation.
- Do paint within 1 year of installation.
- Do re-paint in accordance with the paint manufactures written label instructions.
- Do make sure your installation crews know how to install WindsorONE Trim Boards properly.